Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Story of Stella

Oh my goodness, I am in love with Stella "Arf" Tois.  Stella is our two month old lab/retriever mix we just adopted from Memphis Animal Services (Shelter).

The only think we know about Stella is that she was picked up by MAS on 12/15/12 as a stray.  WHO COULD LET THIS SWEET PUPPY GO?!?!

She's been in our home for only one full day, and I can't even begin to think about life without her.  I used to be one of those who kinda made fun of crazy dog-lovers.  Now, I'm one of them.

I'm already stressing about how I'm going to handle leaving her at home when I go back to work in a little over a week.  It makes me tear up just thinking about it.

We met Stella on Wednesday.  I have to be honest.  I took notice, but wasn't immediately drawn to Stella.  I had my eyes set on another dog that looked like Marley from Marley and Me.  When we went to check her out a little bit closer, another family was also looking at her.   I was ready to jump on it and snatch that dog before the other family, but Michael said no.  They had a little girl, and Michael wasn't about to take her away.  I was pretty upset.  

Then, we walked past Stella's cage again.  She was next to a terrier.  We were really looking at both, but the terrier was going a little crazy.  She seemed like the jealous type.  Stella was doing her part to get our attention, but she wasn't acting crazy.  Michael really really liked her.  He especially liked her brindle color.  The only problem was, she wasn't ready to be adopted.  We would have to come back on Friday to actually adopt her.  

We put our name on a list for her.  No one else had a name on her list.  The terrier had four!  Craziness!  Putting our name on the list did not guarantee us getting her.  We would have to be at the shelter Friday at 11:00.  If we were there at 11:00, she was ours.  (This of course was only if there was nothing wrong with her after she was observed for another two days.)

I cannot tell you how long those two days were.  At this point, I too had fallen in love with Stella.  She just had the sweetest personality.

Finally, Friday came.  Michael had to work, so Mom and Andrew met me at the shelter.  When the doors opened at 11:00, it was like a mad dash for people to get to their dog's cage before anyone else.  I was nervous, because I didn't think it would be that chaotic.  I thought that since I was there, I would get her.  That was probably the case, but I wasn't taking chances.  I ran back to her cage and got her paperwork, and came back up front.  

Thank goodness, we were one of the first five families to check out Friday, because they were only spaying the first five before Christmas.  This meant, we would get to get her either Saturday or Sunday.  I was ecstatic!  

I was out running errands on Saturday when I got the call.  We would be allowed to pick her up at 1:00.  I bought a kennel, and brought her home.  I didn't even put her in the kennel because I just wanted to love on her the whole way home.  She set in my lap.  She was shaking shaking!  I think she was so nervous.  There is no telling what her life was like before we adopted her.  

She has brought so much joy to our lives.  Joy that we desperately needed.  I'm already in full mommy-mode worried about her first check-up.  I hope everything checks out okay!  I'm so thankful we met her.  She is truly the best Christmas present I've ever gotten!

Also, if I thought Michael was hot before the dog, seeing him with a dog... I can't stop staring!  

No comments:

Post a Comment