Saturday, August 18, 2012

100 Things to Eat in Memphis: Gibson's Donuts and Gus's Fried Chicken

My culinary tour of Memphis continues.  Of course this is happening as I am also in a weight loss competition.  I am quickly marking things off the list!  

These two places are next to each other, so I'm killing two birds (actually one bird and one donut) with one stone.

At Gibson's, you're supposed to try the New Orleans donut, so I got one of those. I also couldn't resist the bacon donut, so I grabbed one of those too. Actually, I ended up with a dozen donuts in total. Of course, I shared.

  


The New Orleans donut is really special.  I don't know exactly why it's called a New Orleans donut.  I think I was expecting more of a beignet taste.  It maybe had a hint of that flavor, but it wasn't quite there.  I wish it had been morning instead of the middle of the afternoon.  I also wish I had been able to enjoy it with a cup of coffee.  That would have made it even better.  It doesn't actually have a donut shape.  It's more a hunk of deliciousness in your mouth.  

Fried chicken from Gus's was next on the list.  When you bite into a piece of Gus's, you get that sound that you hear on commercials.  That beautiful crunch.  Gus's also has just the right amount of spice.
  

I really could have eaten our entire 20 piece bag, but we had to save some for some relatives who love it.  They are from California and had it when they were in town for our wedding.  So, when they came to Hot Springs for Michael's family's family reunion, they asked us to bring them some.  I questioned how the chicken would taste hours after we purchased it, but it was still good.  It did lose a little of the crunch, but the chicken still satisfied!

1 comment: